The Republic of Ghana and the People’s Republic of China have signed eight (8) Cooperation Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding in different sectors of their economies to help deepen bilateral relations between the two countries.
The agreements were signed when President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo paid a state visit to China. President Akufo-Addo and his Chinese counterpart, His Excellency Mr. Xi Jinping held bilateral talks prior to the signing of the agreements on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
The agreements are;
· One belt one road Memorandum of Understanding
· Memorandum on Regional Aviation Cooperation
· Agreement for Cooperation in the peaceful use of nuclear energy
· Cooperation to carry out Maternal and Child Health Project
· Framework Agreement on Financing Insurance Cooperation ($ 2 billion Sino-Hydro deal)
· Economic Cooperation on Phase 2 project of the University of Health and Allied Sciences in Ho
· Cooperation on the expansion of the Cape Coast Stadium
· Cooperation on the supply of police vehicles to the Ghana Police Service
President Akufo-Addo also attended the third Summit of the Forum for China Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) from 3rd to 4th September 2018, held in Beijing under the theme “China and Africa: Towards an Even Stronger Community with a shared Future Through Win-Win Cooperation”. FOCAC provided a diplomatic mechanism to promote dialogue between China and Africa, and also facilitated the development of a common political and economic agenda to advance constructive South -South cooperation for the mutual benefit of both sides. FOCAC was established by the Government of China in the year 2000 to help nurture, consolidate and broaden relations between China and Africa.